No dream home is complete without a pool, whether above ground or in-ground. And no dream home in Maryland is complete without following these Pool Fence laws.
Maryland Pool Fence Laws
Maryland law requires property owners to construct an adequate barrier around residential swimming pools, which includes any structure intended for swimming, recreational bathing, or other use that contains water over 24 inches in depth and is located at a single- or two-family dwelling.
- The pool fence must be 48 inches tall.
- The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) recommends pickets be spaced no more than 4 inches apart.
- Fences with horizontal members less than 45 inches apart should have those horizontal members located on the pool side of the fence, according to the CPSC.
- All access gates must be self-closing, self-latching, and equipped with a locking device.
- Above ground pools taller than 48 inches do not require an additional pool fence as long as the ladder is detachable.
- If an above ground pool is less than four feet tall, a barrier should be installed to bring the pool walls to an appropriate height.
Maryland Pool Law Varies by County
While many pool laws are universal, each county in Maryland – Anne Arundel County, Harford County, Howard County, etc. – may adopt its own laws regarding swimming pool fences. For instance, Prince George’s County requires pool fences to be at least 6 feet tall, while Montgomery County requires a five-foot tall pool fence to surround any body of water at least 18 inches deep, not 24 like most other counties.
This is why it is important to check with your local jurisdiction before beginning any home improvement project.
Even if pool fences are not required by law in your area, they are still well worth the investment. According to the CPSC, an estimated 300 children under age 5 drown in swimming pools every year.
Pool Fence Construction from Mid-Atlantic Deck and Fence
Mid- Atlantic Deck and Fence has been building custom pool fences and decks since 1987. We work directly with most of the area’s largest pool companies in Maryland. Click Here to request an estimate today! In the meantime, if you have any questions about Maryland Pool Fence Laws, please contact Mid Atlantic Deck & Fence (MAD Fence) today by clicking here or calling 1-800-833-9310. We proudly serve Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Howard, Montgomery and surrounding counties.