Freezing rain, wind, cold temperatures, and snow can all wreak havoc on your wooden fence. Winter’s unrelenting moisture and constant temperature shifts cause numerous problems for your beautiful fence. While you are warm and cozy, tucked away inside your home, your fence is left to endure the harsh winter weather.
Now we know that the last thing you want to do is spend time outdoors, but a little extra maintenance during the winter can save you a lot of work come Spring. Here are a few tips to help your fence survive the winter months:
- Apply Stain: Applying a fence stain before winter is crucial. Stain is your first line of defense against moisture and seasonal damage.
- Inspect: Thoroughly inspect your fence after and storm. If you find any structural damage, repair it immediately. Making structural repairs now will prevent the damage from worsening throughout the winter.
- Clean: Clean your fence of leaves and other debris that has settled on the rails or has become lodged between boards.
- Keep Footers Clear: Keep the cement footings clear of dirt, bark dust or other matter. This may seem counterintuitive, but doing so reduces the likelihood that the cement will become cracked by trapped moisture or changes in temperature.
- Replacement: If possible, replace broken or damaged boards as soon as possible.
These simple tips will help keep your fence looking great all the way til the Spring.
If you have any questions, contact Mid-Atlantic Deck & Fence (MAD Fence) today by clicking here or calling 1-800-833-9310.
Check us out on Facebook and Twitter as well!
Winter Fence Maintenance Tips NaturalBeautyFenceAndRailing.com
Tags: Apply Stain, beautiful fence, cement footings, Clean your fence, cold temperatures, damaged boards, extra maintenance, fence maintenance, Fence Maintenance Tips, fence stain, Freezing rain, harsh winter weather, inspect your fence, MAD Fence, maintenance tips, Mid-Atlantic Deck & Fence, repair, snow, structural damage, structural repairs, wind, Winter Fence Maintenance Tips, wooden fence