If one of your new year’s resolutions is getting new decking for your home, you are probably sorting through the countless options (and maybe even getting a little bit overwhelmed!). Here are some of the many pros and cons of a composite deck for your home.
Composite Decking 101
Composite decks are made from recycled wood and plastic, so they are strong and very environmentally friendly. Composite decking is available in many different earth-toned colors and finishes designed to mimic wood, so they can work well with a wide variety of personal styles. Composite decking can come in a plank form, just like wood decking, or in new tiles. If you have a sturdy base deck already in place, you can use composite decking tiles to cover whatever surface area you would like without building an entirely new deck.
Why Is Composite Decking a Great Option?
Some of the major pros of getting a composite deck installed are:
- Composite decking requires less maintenance than wood decking and fewer checks throughout the year to make sure it’s in good condition
- Composite decking uses recycled material as its base, so it’s an environmentally friendly option you can feel good about
- Composite decks are durable and can stand up to a lot of wear and tear before they show signs of damage
- They are known for lasting a long time when contrasted with other types of decking
- Composite decks, since they are not primarily made of wood, won’t just rot away like wood decks can
Why Is Composite Decking Not for Everyone?
Some of the cons of getting a composite deck installed are:
- Composite decking can be more costly than wood decking to purchase outright and to install
- Composite decking is more resistant to wear and tear, but that doesn’t mean that scratching from patio furniture can’t happen
- Composite decking can fade overtime if you use chemicals to frequently clean the surface of the decking
Ready for the Composite Deck of Your Dreams?
Mid-Atlantic Deck & Fence has almost 30 years of experience in building beautiful custom fences, gazebos, screened-in porches, and decks throughout the state of Maryland. We have the expertise to design your dream fence or custom deck and have it installed in a headache-free process. Give us a call at 1-800-833-9310 or visit us online for a quote today! We offer many different styles of fencing and decking in addition to custom options designed specifically to suit your preferences and tastes. To see examples of our work and get more tips on how to choose the right decking for your family, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Houzz, Pinterest, Google+, YouTube, and LinkedIn.