Spending most of your time out on your deck can be a pleasant way to watch the leaves fall. But while you relax on your deck this year, you might not notice if the deck railing has come loose. You should repair it before it gets any worse, but if you’re unsure what to do, or what makes deck railings come loose in the first place, just look at our helpful guide.
Reasons It’s Loose
Why are your deck railings loose? Simply put, the railing and the post are no longer connected. When the post’s supports are no longer in place, you’re in danger. So what are some reasons the railing is unsteady?
- The screws are worn out: Screws help hold the railing in place, and if they’re not working anymore, it’s a huge problem.
- Nails or other supports aren’t holding: Much like screws, nails can be used to hold deck railings in place. But they might not be enough, either.
- The wood is rotting.
- Insect infestations are taking their toll.
- The deck itself is getting old, or it has suffered catastrophic damage due to Maryland’s temperamental weather.
- Low-quality installation: If Mid-Atlantic Deck & Fence didn’t install your deck, you might run into shoddy quality work.
Why Sturdy Deck Railings Matter
The sturdier your deck railings are, the safer you are as well. Your kids might dash down the stairs on the side your deck into your yard. But not everyone can do that – if anyone in your family is elderly or has mobility problems, they could need the railing to balance themselves as they carefully step down.
Also, a broken railing could point out other problems with your deck. These issues could be deeper and structural. When you go to inspect the condition of your deck or your deck railings, always be sure to have a highly-trained professional right there with you. A professional’s help ensures that your entire deck will soon be back to normal, which means you can get back to relaxing without worrying about anybody’s safety.
Fix Up Your Deck Railings with Our Help!
Mid-Atlantic Deck & Fence has almost 30 years of experience in building beautiful custom fences, gazebos, screened-in porches, and decks throughout the state of Maryland. We have the expertise to design your dream fence or custom deck and have it installed in a headache-free process. Give us a call at 1-800-833-9310 or visit us online for a quote today! We offer many different styles of fencing and decking in addition to custom options designed specifically to suit your preferences and tastes. To see examples of our work and get more tips on how to choose the right decking for your family, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Houzz, Pinterest, Google+, YouTube, and LinkedIn.